Karen writes about life as a Quiltmaker in Austin, Texas; surviving in an empty nest, marriage, cooking, gardening and (did I say?) Quilting...

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Keep on Working...


Just a minute to post the now finished top for the "auction" quilt... I think it turned out quite nice.

All sparkly in various Hoffman Fairy Frost and other prints from the stash. The theme of the event it "A Night to Shine" and it's done in school colors (blue and grey). I added the bits of turquoise to spice it up a bit. Now... how to quilt it? I'm thinking about "McTavishing" it... but then again, some more traditional feathers round the border? We'll see.

I REALLY enjoyed the pieced border technique, the pattern is by Sally Schneider (http://www.sallyschneider.com/). Called Laurel Wreath. She has one done in jewel tones, with the "beads" around the border all done in different colors. The entire quilt is actually just made of 12 in. blocks, all pieced on the diagonal. The colors make the pieced border look like something really difficult to manage. If you look closely, you'll see the diagonal seams in the border. After it's quilted, they will be even less apparent... making the quilter look like a real genius! My favorite kind of quilt pattern. One that looks fancy, but has an "easy" secret!

Imagine how wonderful it would look done up in Christmas Colors. Sally was at our guild last month, but I was unable to make it to her workshop, but I'm glad I bought the pattern and one of her books, and was able to put it to such good use so quickly... Here's a close up.


I cut the backing last night. My piece was too short to cut in half, so I did a diagonal back...

If your backing piece is at least 1-1/2 times longer than the top, you simply cut it in half diagonally. Then slide the pieces off set until you have a piece wide enough for the quilt width! Sew them together on the diagonal seam and voila! you have a back with a piece of fabric only 1-1/2 times the length of your top! And the nice thing about a diagonal seam is it's easier to quilt over, and doesn't show through as easily as a single center seam. It's really nice for hand quilting. I picked up this idea from John Flynn's website... http://www.flynnquilt.com/ It's under the free lesson menu. There's actually a mathematical forumula for the brave at heart (or of mind?) to help in calculating the needed length of fabric to make a diagonal seamed back. It is very cost efficient, as you don't end up with a big hunk of fabric, just two small triangle scraps (and who can't use scraps!).

Now, I have to spend the day pin basting (ugh), but, while I baste, I can think about how I want to quilt it....!
The quilt (a lap quilt size 54" x 70") will be auctioned off at the Trinity Episcopal School fund raiser April 5th in Westlake Hills in Austin!

FYI... the backing is an older blue sparkly Christmas fabric. Kind of a toile design, blue with grey scenes of angels... it's not obviously a Christmas theme - but definitely religious... will work wonderully for this donation quilt made for an Episcopal school don't you think!

No comments: