Karen writes about life as a Quiltmaker in Austin, Texas; surviving in an empty nest, marriage, cooking, gardening and (did I say?) Quilting...

Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Sewing "Domain"

OK... for the edification of a few curious types, here's a picture of my sewing "space"... and a couple of my favorite machines.


When we sold the "big house" last year and did the downsize, I still ended up with a spare room... And, it seemed silly to make the largest bedroom into a "master" bedroom - when all we do is sleep there for 8 hours or so in 24! What a waste of space when that room could become Karen's sewing studio eh?


I am one of those wild creative types... although I DO have a "place" for everything, I also am not real crazy about being neat for neatness sake, so there are always several project laying around, patterns and books ready for a quick look, and way too much paperwork laying around.


These are my "users" the "go-to" machines I use every day. On the left above, a Bernina 830, for dressmaking, er, well pants and shirt making - haven't worn a dress in years! and (mostly) quilt piecing. The 830 was a great estate sale find... in a fairly well off woman's sewing room. The Bernina was in a fancy electric lift cabinet - but was entirely unused. The old Singer 66 also in the room was worn smooth out - no decals left on the bed! Apparently she purchased the Bernina (even went through some of the classes as demonstrated in her workbook), but never really got used to it enough to use it. It was loaded with over 25 feet, The BIG workbook, and every thing! Just love it... though I still go to my older Star series Elna 62 when I want to do some cool decor stitches (blanket or feather stitch for example!). So although this is a 25 year old machine, it is basically new!


On the right above, and at left here, is "BIG RED"... my restored 1927 Singer 31-15. A VERY heavy (50+ pounds) industrial Singer in an original Maple topped Singer table! I don't run it as an industrial with a clutched motor however. Right now, it's belt driven off of a bolted on 1 amp PFAFF 130 motor. The lamp from the 130 (which was broken - sniff, sniff - in shipment to me.... another story!) is mounted on the business end. I use an artists rotating carrel to store my fiddlies, and the serger is on the table opposite under the blue cover. This is the oldest working machine that I use regularly!
The old Dayzor lamp from the 1950s (or so...) that's between the two machines swivels to give me plenty of light on the subject. It's an old government surplus lamp that has a brass government tag indicating it came from the Joliet Arsenal!
I'll try to post pictures of the rest of the studio (including the stash!) next time!




No comments: